Saturday, May 2, 2009

Packing Shenanigans

If anyone knows of an easier way...

One month ago - I gathered clothes and piled them in the guest room.

2 weeks ago - I organized the piles of stuff that I had accumulated.

1 week ago - I went through the piles and took out some stuff that might not be completely necessary (if I had only known).

Thursday - I went to visit four friends' houses to borrow clothes so I didn't have to buy any.

Friday morning - I organized piles (again): shirts, sweaters, pant, jeans, dresses, etc.

Friday evening - Mike went upstairs, looked at the piles and asked if I wanted to go buy a bigger suitcase. I said I would be fine (as he prepared the biggest, best "I told you so" in his head) so we went to dinner and then watched Jeopardy.

Friday, 8:00 PM - I began packing.
Friday, 8:15 PM - I began pa(ni)cking.
Friday, 8:16 PM - I began panicking.

Friday, 8:20 PM - Mike found me panicking and used that clever "I told you so" he had been preparing. Yes, thanks honey - just what I needed to hear.

Friday, 8:20-8:45 PM - Mike unpacked what I have packed so far and laughed throughout the process. He told me I need to learn how to pack for this type of travel. "No Kidding"! He proceeded to tell me I could not take the following items: bottle of wine, two brushes (one flat and one rolling for curing hair), heating pad, set of curlers (I have hair - he just doesn't get it). He said I could only bring one pair of black pants but failed to realize that the two pairs I had were made of different material. Finally, I needed to get rid of at least two pairs of jeans, but the problem is I gain and lose weight quickly so I wanted to make sure I had different sizes.

Friday, 8:45 PM - I began repacking while Mike stared at me, which was kind of unerving so I told him to go away!

Friday, 9:00 PM - Mike finds me panicking (again).

Friday, 9:01 PM - I finally give in and we go to JC Penney's and buy a bigger suitcase. It is on sale. Mike is happy.

Friday, 9:30 PM - I unpacked the previous bags and started repacking the new one. Mike is tossing aside more of the things he thinks I do not need and by this point I am annnoyed, so I join in the process!

Friday, 11:30 PM - I finished packing and decided to weight the suitcases just to see if they were over the airline weight limit. Wouldn't you know it - they were (like you didn't see that one coming).

Friday, 11:30 - 11:59 PM - Mix and match items between the two suitcases, remove more essential (Mike says: superfluous) items. Squeeze some toothpaste and shampoo out of my bottles to drop every last possible ounce.

Friday, 12:00 AM - Re-weighed suitcases and rejoiced. The process was finally done!

Saturday, 12:01 AM - Curse Mike as he reminds me I still have to pack my carry on!

Saturday, 12:02 AM - Went to bed and didn't sleep a wink.

Saturday, 11:15 AM - Finished product:

No comments:

Post a Comment