Saturday, May 9, 2009

Victory Day

May 9th – Victory Day
I think Sarah blogged about the Parade so I will tell you about our Victory Dinner at our host’s house. All of the family was there along with our group and there was bolsheya yest (much food-phonetic spelling). We all had a great time and went through at least two bottles of the wonderful Russian Vodka, a bottle of Cognac, two bottles of wine, and a bottle of mixed Martinis. There were 8 of us so that isn’t two bad!!! I think the men drank the most of course! We had a selection of potatoes, salad, meats (salami, bologna), cheese, pork, calamari, and salmon. It just kept coming and when you thought it was finally done then came dessert and tea!!! It was awesome! I need to buy pants already but I figured that would happen….. Oh well how much weight can I really gain in a month???????????
John left his phone here and it rang a little while ago I answered it and had a chat with his evil twin named John. He told me all kinds of gossip about John and I can’t wait to see him tomorrow to give him a hard time!!!! I have no way to reach John and am wondering if he even knows he left his phone. I will admit that we used his phone to make some phone calls and we will see if he reads the blog to find out or if one of you tell him………………………….. :)
Sites are beautiful. The city of Vladimir is considered the oldest city in Russia and is very well kept up compared to some of the cities we have seen and visited. There are lines on the roads in this city which make me feel a little better about the driving circumstances and none of us have been sick from the driving yet… knock on wood!! The churches here are beautiful and I am looking forward to having the opportunity to visit a church service in Moscow next Sunday. Tomorrow we go to visit a history museum (right up my alley) and some other historical sites in the city of Suzdal. Oh and I made a friend Masha who may be coming to visit this summer!!

2 comments:

  1. Leave my son alone and stop making him drink so much. Tell John to call home when he gets his phone. Nothing urgent, its mothers day. Sounds like your having fun !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we earned major brownie points matching the colonel shot for shot as we toasted friendship, love, beauty, the American and Russian veterans, health, happiness, generosity in the emptying of two bottles of the finest vodka in Russia. (mike)

    ReplyDelete