Friday, May 22, 2009

Sizma and Vologda

The past two days have been very busy for our team.


Yesterday, we went to a traditional city in the region, called Sizma. Here we had the opportunity to see some very old icons in St. Nikolay's Cathedral and ring the bells, as well as visit St. Xenia's Chapel (left) and the holy well of St. George the Victorious by a river (below). I think after this trip we can all expect good luck, as we wrote notes and wishes to St. Xenia and drank from the holy spring. It was such a peaceful place and I feel fortunate to have experienced it.



We also had the opportunity to play some Slavic games, which I am not even going to try to explain in intense detail. Let's just say it included climbing under peoples' legs and running around like crazy people. Hopefully Jen will be able to post video--it's a must see! :)

Today we went to Vologda, where we visited the Cathedral of St. Sophia, climbed the bell tower of the Vologda Kremlin, visited a lace museum (one of the local handicrafts), and visited a home visited by Peter the Great. We had a great time! My host sister was with us (Olga and I to the left at the top of the bell tower) and I can only say that she is the best! I am so lucky to be living with her! Thank you, Olga!



Robin's host family was so concerned that Flat Peter haŠ² not changed his wardrobe yet in Russia, so they made him a traditional Russia outfit. He was sporting it today! Looking good, Peter (with a view of St. Sophia's in the background)!


Well, tomorrow we are scheduled to have a picnic and go fishing! Wish me luck!

All my love to my family and friends! I miss you tons!

2 comments:

  1. Flat Peter is looking pretty stylish in his new outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Flat Peter's new outfit. Love the color.

    ReplyDelete