Saturday, May 16, 2009

Moscow, On My Own.....

Tonight was Museum Night in Moscow. On Museum Night all of the city’s museums are free and stay open until 2 in the morning. Yulia, from the University we had visited the prior day, invited me to join her and some friends for a tour the museums. Although I was running on fumes from a couple hours sleep the night before, I couln't refuse. So after much prodding, Mike agreed to let me go off on my own. So with my passport and map of the Metro system I was off to meet Yulia and friends. Between Museum night and EuroVision (American Idol for the rest of the world taking place in Moscow) the Metro Stations were packed. I had to transfer trains twice to get to my destination. After three transfers and a lot of help from the locals I made it. Men, here’s a tip if you’re lost in the Metro, find a woman, go up to her with map in hand, smile then start speaking English. After they stop giggling they will go out of their way to help you find the right train.

So I met my new friends and we were off to the museum. As it turns out this museum was actually an old house and we weren’t there to see any exhibits. We were attending a short performance given by some local drama students. Packed like sardines in a café/theater we watched the performance which of course was all in Russian. At the end they asked me how I liked the show, in turn; I asked them what the show was about. Although I didn’t understand much of what was being said at the performance it was a really cool experience.

After the performance we walked all over Moscow. Yulia showed me all the theaters and cathedrals off the beaten path. After a night tour of Red Square we finished the night off at a café with double espressos, which would explain why I’m up writing this at 3:30 in the morning.

To be honest, I was overwhelmed and unimpressed with Moscow upon arrival. But now that I’ve been here for a few days and had a chance to meet some Muscovites, see the city and learn more about the history my perception has completely changed. Thanks to everyone for sharing your city with me.

2 comments:

  1. That's the kind of experience you don't get as a normal tourist. Glad you got to see the real city with some local tour guides and no particular schedule. Has anyone got to play a balalaika yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a chance to see the city with a local. Mom and I were very impressed by the quality of your blog, considering that it was written @ 3:30am Rainy day here. Bruins lost the 7th game to Carolina. We are really enjoying the updates. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete