Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Yaroslavl - May 5

Hi everyone! It's our fourth day here in Russia and I think I am finally beginning to adjust to things, with the exception of all the cheese, sour cream and mayo sauces. Jen and I's host mother, Inna, and her daughter have been so kind and generous, as have all the host families. We all went bowling the other night and had a great time. Jen of course was the "champion." I somehow adopted the nickname "Sarah Crazy" from Robin's host mother.. hmmm, well, she says it's a good thing!

Our itinerary changed a little yesterday and we ended up visiting a town about an hour away from Ivanovo called Yarosloavl. It is right on the Volga River and is quite beautiful. Unfortunately, I did not realize that I was riding to Yarosloavl next to the Ivanovo Rotary President, Sergei, and fell asleep as he was talking to me. I woke up with my mouth wide open! Hopefully, I was not snoring!!!! And let's not even mention Jen and I's repeat perfomance of the wood restrooms on the way home.

We visited a Museum with lots of old icons. Jen was sure to video tape the entire thing! Later, we had yet another feast for lunch, and I left feeling about 10 poulds heavier. It consisted of some kind of chicken covered in sauce and also some potato meat balls, a milk shake, some kind of pancake filled with meat, fish soup, and a shot of vodka. We then decided to walk the kunch off along the Vola--allegedly the longest river in Russia.

One of the best things about yesterday was that we had the opportunity to go up the tower of one of the churches and ring the bell. The priest took us up and gave us a fantastic tour! It was a very unique experience!

We were SO tired and begged our host mother to go home, but we ended up visiting an English class at the Ivanovo State University. It was interesting to see ESL in another country. The students were a little shy, but had plenty of questions about Obama, Bush, the economy, music, the Celtics and celebrities. Can you guess which I was an expert on? After the University visit, I went to dinner at a Chechan family's house. I left ready to explode.

Time to go... I have to do some laundry and then get ready four our first presentation tonight! We might even go in the banya (spelling?) tonight!

Miss everyone lots! Hi Mom, Grandpa, Grandma and Peter!

xoxo,
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    It is great to hear you were able to visit a school and let them know about out economy and politics, and our "gossip". Continue to keep us posted.

    -Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    Of course I know what you were the expert on. HELLO, CELTICS!! Thank you for keeping us posted. It's great to hear from you. Take care and take tons of photos.

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete